This month we celebrate annual Mandela Day, where people around South Africa and the world, are encouraged to spend at least 67 minutes doing something positive for their communities. Don’t stress if you’ve got nothing planned and have left it to the last minute, that’s what Viva is here for! It’s time to get out there and do some good for the world. There are many ways to spread love and honor Tata Madiba’s legacy and here at Viva we’re about fitness and the well-being it brings.
Our seven clubs have each chosen a specific charity to support, check out the list below and go find out how you can do your part. Not a member, don’t worry, get a free pass and come join us for the day while also putting in your 67 minutes!
|Rosebank||Tumelo Day and Night Care|
|Fourways||Diepsloot Arsenal Development,registration number 095-182 NPO|
|Montana||Jakranda Children’s home|
|Walmer||Community Chess PE|
|Sunningdale||Home of Hope|
|Oakdene||Door of Hope Children’s Mission|
We encourage everyone to participate in this day and have compiled a list with some ideas on what you can do for your 67 minutes.
- You don’t have to go far to make a difference, simply step outside into your neighbourhood and do a street clean up.
- Visit a local children’s home or orphanage and read to the kids, alternatively you could pack some snack boxes and fill their day with some sunshine.
- Donate blood or become an organ donor and change a life forever.
- Pack ‘Care Packages’ consisting of a toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, soap, cream and socks and hand them out at a shelter for the homeless.
- Grab a bunch of friends, head down to your local park or beach, and pick up some of the trash.
- Offer to fix things at a local school or community centre.
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter and show some fur babies the true spirit of Madiba.
- Give of your time and visit a senior centre, walk with them or just sit and talk.
Just do one good deed today, even if it only takes a minute. There are so many ways to make a difference.
Start with what you are passionate about and where you know your actions will have a lasting impact.
Download the 67 Minutes for Mandela app which uses your location to help find your nearest Mandela Day event OR visit Charity SA and search the database of organizations to find out what more you can do for a cause you care about.